Sunday, September 10, 2023

 Blog Post #2: The Supreme Court

    I decided to read the article instead of watching the videos and learned a lot. While I know what the Supreme Court is I did not know what its job entails. The most interesting fact was how it got started. It took some time to get the Supreme Court up and running. From the first meeting being postponed to not hearing any cases in the first term, it was not a quick process. On top of that, I learned about West v. Barnes which is a case that I had never heard of but this article led me to look it up and learn more about how it was the earliest case calling for oral argument. 


   

 I believe that the most important takeaway is how these justices come into power. The article states that the justices are nominated by the president and confirmed by the Senate. I didn't know that it had to go through both to be finalized. In addition, there is a chief justice who acts as a manager by setting agendas and presiding over the Supreme Court. This surprised me because I always thought that each person in the Supreme Court was at the same level. This article changed my view of the Supreme Court because it opened my eyes to what these people actually do and how they earn this job.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 Blog Post #12: Technology's Hold on Me         Technology, in my opinion, does more harm than good. Because of this I don't believe...